The purpose of this position is twofold. For the intern, this is to be a learning opportunity through the ministry of Calvary Baptist Church of Smithfield. The intern ministry provides the chance for interns to gain practical ministry training, to work in an atmosphere of personal and professional guidance and support, to test their gifts and call to vocational ministry, and to develop spiritually and theologically. For Calvary Baptist Church, this is an opportunity for us to invest in equipping leaders for ministry through partnership and relationship.
The ministry intern will be accountable to the Pastor.
- The overall objective is to present and show by example the gospel of Jesus Christ to people of all ages and to encourage them in their spiritual growth through worship, prayer and relationship.
Specific activities may include
- Maintain personal, spiritual and professional growth.
- Personally present the gospel to as many people as possible.
- Actively participate in all congregational services and all outreach efforts.
- Meet weekly with the Pastor for mentoring (possibly as an intern group)
- Assist in the ministries of the church.
- Be assigned to a particular area of ministry.
- Growing personal commitment to Jesus Christ, the body of Christ, and God’s work in the world.
- Ability to work effectively, exhibiting creativity, understanding and patience.
- Ability to verbally articulate personal faith and a biblical world-view.
- It is preferred that applicants have finished their junior year of college, however applicants will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
A minimum of 40 hours per week for the 10-week assignment, anticipated dates June 1, 2019 through August 10, 2019. Any dates when the intern would be unavailable should be discussed prior to the start date so that they can be factored into the internship plan.
$3300 for the full 10-week term. Housing will be made available to those without family in the area.
The Pastor and Assistant Pastor will provide an assessment of performance during the internship at five weeks and the end of the assignment.
APPLICATION DEADLINE March 15, 2019 (position will remain open until filled)
Please return your completed application to: Calvary Baptist Church
15155 Turner Drive
Smithfield, VA 23430